Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Sources: Eleanor B. Vo, MD, Section Secretary, and Emily D. Gottfried, PhD, Section Program Chair
January 2020 is already here meaning that the 72nd AAFS Annual Scientific Meeting is just around the corner. This year we will meet in Anaheim, CA, at the Convention Center from February 17–22. The pre-registration deadline is January 20. Registration is available online, but the registration form can also be emailed or mailed. The Section Business Meeting is on Wednesday, February 19, from 2:00 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. Prior to the Business Meeting, we will have our regular luncheon from 12:00 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.—the perfect time to socialize with your colleagues.
2020 Program for Annual Meeting
With “Crossing Borders” as the annual meeting theme, there will be numerous exciting forensic psychiatry and behavioral science sessions! There is an interdisciplinary breakfast seminar featuring Dr. Rick Malone discussing whether a soldier’s combat stress was a reason for committing five murders, and an interdisciplinary luncheon seminar featuring Dr. Charles Scott discussing fingerprinting the brain. On February 17, Dr. Alan Felthous and Dr. Felice Carabellese will chair a workshop examining “The Psychopathology of Homicide.” Sessions include topics spanning the characteristics of forensic patients and review boards, evaluations of asylum seekers, sexual offenses, the relationship between crime and mental illness, case studies on the Charleston church shooter and threats against a judge, competency to stand trial, and forensic treatment.
Our Academy Cup Team is set for 2020—come and watch the fun on Wednesday, February 19, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. The team’s Chair is Dean De Crisce and the Co-Chair is Eleanor Vo. The team members include Laura Volpini, Janet Schwartz, Jimmy (Giuseppe) Troccoli, Emily Gottfried, and Sebastien Prat. Come and cheer on the team!
The recipient of the Richard Rosner Award for the Best Paper by a Fellow in Forensic Psychiatry or Forensic Psychology is Cristina Secarea, MD. She is currently a Forensic Psychiatry Fellow at Saint Elizabeth’s Hospital in Washington, DC. Dr. Secarea completed her psychiatry residency training at the same program in June of 2018. The presentation of her paper, “Factors Influencing Adjudicative Competence and Length of Time to Restoration,” will be on Wednesday, February 19, at 2:30 p.m. at the Section Business Meeting.
Our section continues to advance as members continue to excel in the field. Below are some recent advances, awards, and publications:
- Gregory Leong was awarded the Golden Apple (Golden AAPL) in October 2019 at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law.
- Eleanor Vo was elected as President of the New York/New Jersey Chapter of the American Society of Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Dean De Crisce will be serving as the Workshop Co-Chair in 2021 for the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.
- Dean De Crisce had a recent publication, namely: Reeves, D.; Cevasco, R.; and De Crisce, D. (2019) The Pathway from Prison to Civil Commitment to Release in New Jersey. In: Sexually Violent Predators: A Clinical Science Handbook (eds. W. O’Donohue, D. Bromberg), Springer Publications, New York.
- Raymond H. Hamden was invited to jail as a member of the Board of Advisers at the Center for Population Health at Xavier University. He is among 40 board members under the Directorship of Dr. Susan Schmidt. Population Health is determined by how we live and how the environment (socially and physically) supports the ability to lead healthy lives. Going beyond the medical model, Population Health introduced the concept of social determinants of health and the Prevention Model.
We hope to see everyone in Anaheim, and please don’t forget the section business meeting on February 19 at 2:00 p.m.
Remember, if you have any announcements, please feel free to email them directly to email@example.com.