Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Teresa Ambrosius, ASB Secretariat
Upcoming Standards Webinars and Presentations!
Standards: The Not-So-Missing Link – Webinar on April 21, 2022
Webinar on standards development and its application to forensic science!
As part of a cooperative agreement with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS) has created a new video to help address the need for training related to forensic science standards. Learn more and Register!
The International Association for Chemical Testing (IACT) Conference – April 10-15, 2022, Tucson, AZ
- Expert Testimony Training: 300 Level
- Guidelines for Performing Alcohol Calculations
- ASB Document Implementation
ADDITIONAL STANDARDS PRESENTATIONS:
- Standards Activities in Forensic Toxicology
- I’m just a bill (isn’t that more catchy than I’m just a draft OSAC/ASB/Toxicology Consensus Body Standard)
ASB Documents Open for Public Comment
The ASB encourages all interested parties to provide comments on documents in progress.
The following documents are now open for public comment:
- Recirculation* – ASB BPR 107, Best Practice Recommendation for Measuring Trigger Pull of a Firearm and Estimating Its Uncertainty (Comment Deadline: May 16, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Std 123, Standard for Routine Internal Evaluation of a Laboratory’s DNA Interpretation and Comparison Protocol (Comment Deadline: May 16, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Std 133, Standard for Age Estimation in Forensic Anthropology (Comment Deadline: May 16, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Std 153, Standard Practices for Proficiency Testing for Forensic Toxicology Laboratories and Breath Alcohol Programs (Comment Deadline: May 16, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB BPR 156, Best Practices for Specimen Collection and Preservation for Forensic Toxicology (Comment Deadline: May 16, 2022)
- ASB Std 162, Standard for the Forensic Examination and Documentation of Non-firearm Tools and Non-firearm Toolmarks (Comment Deadline: May 16, 2022)
The following documents are also open for public comment:
- ASB TR 016, Terminology Related to Friction Ridge Examination (Comment Deadline: April 25, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Std 070, Standard for Examination of Handwritten Items (Comment Deadline: April 4, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB BPR 142, Best Practice Recommendations for the Resolution of Conflicts in Friction Ridge Examination (Comment Deadline: May 9, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB BPR 144, Best Practice Recommendations for the Verification Component in Friction Ridge Examination (Comment Deadline: May 9, 2022)
*Please note that comments on a re-circulation will only be accepted on revised sections of a document, comments made to text not revised from the previous public comment period will not be accepted.
The documents, comment template, and additional information can be accessed through the ASB website.
To date, the ASB has published 72 Standards/Best Practice Recommendations (all approved as American National Standards by ANSI), and 4 Technical Reports. All ASB publications can be downloaded from the ASB website.
Project Initiation Notification System (PINS) and ASB updates from ANSI Standards Action
The following are proposed new documents recently approved by the ASB for work:
- ASB BPR 181, Media Communications Following a Mass Fatality Incident: Best Practice Recommendations for the Medicolegal Authority
- ASB BPR 182, Victim Accounting: Best Practice Recommendations for Medicolegal Authorities in Mass Fatality Management
Directly and materially affected interests wishing to receive more information or to submit comments are requested to contact email@example.com within 30 days of the publication of this announcement.
To view a summary of items of interest to ASB members in ANSI Standards Action, visit the ANSI Standards Action Weekly Report folder on the ASB Workspace page. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have difficulties logging on to the Workspace site.