Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Teresa Ambrosius, ASB Secretariat
ASB Documents Open for Public Comment
The ASB encourages all interested parties to provide comments on documents in progress.
The public comment period has opened for:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 140, Standard for Training in Forensic Human Mitochondrial DNA Analysis, Interpretation, Comparison, Statistical Evaluation, and Reporting, First Edition (Comment Deadline, May 31, 2021)
- ASB Best Practice Recommendation 156, Guidelines for Specimen Collection and Preservation for Forensic Toxicology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, May 31, 2021)
The following document are also available for public comment:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 024, Standard for Training and Certification of Canine Detection of Humans: Location Check Using Pre‐scented Canines, First Edition (ASB Comment Deadline, May 6, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 026, Standard for Training and Certification of Canine Detection of Humans: An Aged Trail Using Pre-scented Canines, First Edition (ASB Comment Deadline, May 6, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 027, Standard for Training and Certification of Canine Detection of Humans: Patrol Canine Team, First Edition (ASB Comment Deadline, May 6, 2021)
- Call for Comment of ANS Limited Substantive Changes – ANSI/ASB Standard 036, Standard Practices for Method Validation in Forensic Toxicology, First Edition, 2019 (Comment Deadline, May 10 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 121, Standard for the Analytical Scope and Sensitivity of Forensic Toxicological Testing of Urine in Drug-Facilitated Crime Investigations, First Edition (ASB Comment Deadline, May 6, 2021)
- ASB Standard 123, Standard for Routine Internal Evaluation of a Laboratory’s DNA Interpretation and Comparison Protocol, First Edition (Comment Deadline, May 24, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 135, Scene Detection and Processing in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, May 17, 2021)
- ASB Standard 147, Standard for Analyzing Skeletal Trauma in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, May 17, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 149, Standard for Taphonomic Observations in Support of the Postmortem Interval, First Edition (Comment Deadline, May 17, 2021)
- ASB Standard 153, Standard Practices for Proficiency Testing for Forensic Toxicology Laboratories, First Edition (Comment Deadline, April 19, 2021)
*Please note that comments on a re-circulation will only be accepted on revised sections of a document, comments made to text not revised from the previous public comment period will not be accepted.
The documents, comment template, and additional information can be accessed through the Notification of Standard Development and Coordination portion of the ASB website.
AAFS President’s Spotlight–April 2021
During the year, AAFS will present monthly presidential spotlights for each section to highlight the latest significant research or improvements within its discipline(s). The first featured submission is from the Questioned Documents Section and ASB consensus body member Timothy Campbell.
Statement From the AAFS Board of Directors on Supporting Standards Development and Implementation
In an effort to show ongoing support to the standardization process and OSAC partners, the AAFS board of directors has issued a statement of support.
Introduction to the ASB Presentation
On April 7, 2021, the ASB staff gave an online presentation to the AAFS Standards Board new consensus body members outlining the history, structure, and processes of the ASB. The presentation has been posted on the Resources and Training page of the ASB website.
Contributions to the ASB
Your contribution will help ensure the ASB’s success in establishing standards and best practices for the forensic science community. Your contribution may be tax deductible as an ordinary and necessary business expense for federal income tax purposes. Make a donation.
To date, the ASB has published 44 Standards/Best Practice Recommendations (all approved as American National Standards by ANSI), and 3 Technical Reports. All ASB publications can be downloaded for free from the Published Documents portion of the ASB website.
ASB Updates From ANSI Standards Action
To view a summary of items of interest to ASB members in ANSI Standards Action, visit the ANSI Standards Action Weekly Report folder on the ASB Workspace page. Please contact email@example.com if you have difficulties logging on to the Workspace site