Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Teresa Ambrosius, ASB Secretariat
New Documents From the ASB!
The AAFS Standards Board (ASB) is pleased to announce the publication three new documents! .
Visit the new ASB Website to download the following documents
From Dogs and Sensors:
- ANSI/ASB Std 092, Standard for Training and Certification of Canine Detection of Explosives, First Edition, 2021
From Firearms and Toolmarks:
- ANSI/ASB BPR 060, Guidelines for Barrel and Overall Length Measurements of Firearms, First Edition, 2021
- ANSI/ASB Std 125, Organizational and Foundational Standard for Medicolegal Death Investigation, First Edition, 2021
To date, the ASB has published 70 Standards/Best Practice Recommendations (all approved as American National Standards by ANSI), and 3 Technical Reports. All ASB publications can be downloaded from the ASB website.
AAFS 2022 Annual Scientific Meeting
Join over 3,000 of your fellow forensic science professionals for a week of more than 1,000 scientific presentations, 21 workshops, networking opportunities, exhibits, and more. The AAFS conference is the premier event for the forensics community, supporting professions and disciplines across the industry.
Sponsor the AAFS Standards Board (ASB) Reception | $2,000 (Multiple available)
(contact email@example.com for more information)
- Sponsor logo on ASB website
- Sponsor logo on signage at the reception
- Sponsor verbally recognized at the reception
ASB Documents Open for Public Comment
The ASB encourages all interested parties to provide comments on documents in progress.
The following documents are open for public comment:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 013, Standard for Friction Ridge Examination Conclusions, First Edition (Comment Deadline, January 3, 2022)
- ASB Standard 100, Standard Scale of Source Conclusions Criteria for Toolmark Examinations, First Edition (ASB Comment Deadline, January 13, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 135, Scene Detection and Processing in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, January 17, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Best Practice Recommendation 142, Best Practice Recommendations for the Resolution of Conflicts in Friction Ridge Examination, First Edition (Comment Deadline, January 3, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Best Practice Recommendation 144, Best Practice Recommendations for the Verification Component in Friction Ridge Examination, First Edition (Comment Deadline, January 3, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 147, Standard for Analyzing Skeletal Trauma in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, January 17, 2022)
- ASB Standard 148, Standard for Personal Identification in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition (Comment Deadline: January 31, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 149, Standard for Taphonomic Observations in Support of the Postmortem Interval, First Edition (Comment Deadline, January 17, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 158, Standard for Developing Standard Operating Procedures in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, First Edition (Comment Deadline: January 31, 2022)
*Please note that comments on a re-circulation will only be accepted on revised sections of a document, comments made to text not revised from the previous public comment period will not be accepted.
The documents, comment template, and additional information can be accessed through the ASB website.
ASB Updates From ANSI Standards Action
To view a summary of items of interest to ASB members in ANSI Standards Action, visit the ANSI Standards Action Weekly Report folder on the ASB Workspace page. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have difficulties logging on to the Workspace site.