Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Teresa Ambrosius, ASB Secretariat
AAFS 2022 Annual Scientific Conference!
Sponsor the AAFS Standards Board (ASB) Reception | $2,000 (Multiple available)
(contact email@example.com for more information)
- Sponsor logo on ASB website
- Sponsor logo on slideshow at the reception
- Sponsor verbally recognized at the reception
Standards Sessions and Presentations at the AAFS 2022 Annual Scientific Conference – February 21 – 25
- Breakfast Seminar 1 – Monday, February 21, 7:00 AM -8:15 AM: The Path Forward Continues: What’s Happening in Forensic Standards
- Workshop 2 – Monday, February 21, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM: The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Forensic DNA Activities: Foundations, Research, and Standards
- Workshop 9 – Monday, February 21, 8:30 AM – 12:15 PM: Forensic Science Standards Development and Implementation… You Want Me to Do What?
- Special Session 1 – Tuesday, February 22, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM: Interdisciplinary Symposium: Problems of Today and Solutions for Tomorrow
- Luncheon 2 – Friday, February 25, 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM: What’s New From the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) International’s
Committee E30 on Forensic Sciences: Big Changes Underway!
ASB Documents Open for Public Comment
The ASB encourages all interested parties to provide comments on documents in progress.
The following documents are now open for public comment:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 145, Standard for Consultation during Friction Ridge Examination (Comment Deadline: March 14, 2022)
- ASB Best Practice Recommendation 165, Best Practice Recommendation for Analysis of Friction Ridge Impressions (Comment Deadline: March 14, 2022)
- ASB Best Practice Recommendation 166, Best Practice Recommendation for Comparison and Evaluation of Friction Ridge Impressions (Comment Deadline: March 14, 2022)
The following documents are also open for public comment:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 055, Standard for Breath Alcohol Measuring Instrument Calibration (Comment Deadline: February 21, 2022) Please note that for this document, the entire updated document is open for comment.
- ASB Technical Report 071, Forensic Document Examination Terms and Definitions (Comment Deadline: February 21, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 127, Standard for the Preservation and Examination of Charred Documents (Comment Deadline: February 21, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 128, Standard for the Preservation and Examination of Liquid Soaked Documents (Comment Deadline: February 21, 2022)
- ASB Standard 148, Standard for Personal Identification in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition (Comment Deadline: January 31, 2022)
- Recirculation * – ASB Standard 157, Required Components for a Proficiency Testing Program in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis (Comment Deadline: February 21, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 158, Standard for Developing Standard Operating Procedures in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, First Edition (Comment Deadline: January 31, 2022)
- Recirculation* – ASB Best Practice Recommendation 160, Best Practice Recommendation for Initial Response at Scenes by Law Enforcement Officers (Comment Deadline: February 21, 2022)
*Please note that comments on a re-circulation will only be accepted on revised sections of a document, comments made to text not revised from the previous public comment period will not be accepted.
The documents, comment template, and additional information can be accessed through the ASB website.
Published ASB Documents
To date, the ASB has published 70 Standards/Best Practice Recommendations (all approved as American National Standards by ANSI), and 4 Technical Reports. All ASB publications can be downloaded from the ASB website.
ASB Updates From ANSI Standards Action
To view a summary of items of interest to ASB members in ANSI Standards Action, visit the ANSI Standards Action Weekly Report folder on the ASB Workspace page. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have difficulties logging on to the Workspace site.