Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Teresa Ambrosius, ASB Secretariat
ASB Documents Open for Public Comment
The ASB encourages all interested parties to provide comments on documents in progress.
The public comment period has opened for:
- ASB Standard 138, Standard for Collection of Known DNA Samples from Domestic Mammals, First Edition (Comment Deadline, August 9, 2021)
The following documents are also available for public comment:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 085, Standard for Detection Canine Selection, Kenneling, and Healthcare, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 19, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 092, Standard for Training and Certification of Canine Detection of Explosives, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 19, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 127, Standard for the Preservation and Examination of Charred Documents, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 12, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 128, Standard for the Preservation and Examination of Liquid Soaked Documents, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 12, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Best Practice Recommendation 142, Best Practice Recommendations for the Resolution of Conflicts in Friction Ridge Examination, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 19, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 146, Standard for Resolving Commingled Remains in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 19, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 152, Standard for the Minimum Content Requirements of Forensic Toxicology Procedures, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 5 2021)
*Please note that comments on a re-circulation will only be accepted on revised sections of a document, comments made to text not revised from the previous public comment period will not be accepted.
The documents, comment template, and additional information can be accessed through the Notification of Standard Development and Coordination portion of the ASB website.
AAFS Online Abstract Submission System Is Now Open
Submit your abstract for presentation at the 74th AAFS Annual Scientific Conference to be held February 21-26, 2022, in Seattle, WA. The theme for the upcoming meeting is A Responsive Academy-Meeting and Surpassing the Challenges of a Modern Forensic Science World. The deadline for abstract submission is September 1. Presenting authors of abstracts who are selected for presentation by the Program Committee will be notified by November 30. Submission guidelines may be found here.
Conduct an Educational & Scientific Webinar with AAFS
Presenting educational webinars is a valuable tool for offering engaging and valuable content on a specific topic.
Forensic science is an ever-changing and developing scientific field that requires rigorous efforts in continuing education. We offer all qualified individuals the opportunity to conduct an educational scientific webinar to the public that we create, host, and market. Visit the AAFS website to learn about the three different options for conducting your webinar.
To date, the ASB has published 46 Standards/Best Practice Recommendations (all approved as American National Standards by ANSI), and 3 Technical Reports. All ASB publications can be downloaded for free from the Published Documents portion of the ASB website.
Shop Amazon Smile to Support AAFS and ASB
You can now shop on behalf of the AAFS through Amazon Smile in effort to support your favorite non-profit! Read more about it and find our specific shopping link.
Contributions To the ASB
Your contribution will help ensure the ASB’s success in establishing standards and best practices for the forensic science community. Your contribution may be tax deductible as an ordinary and necessary business expense for federal income tax purposes. Make a donation.
ASB Updates From ANSI Standards Action
To view a summary of items of interest to ASB members in ANSI Standards Action, visit the ANSI Standards Action Weekly Report folder on the ASB Workspace page. Please contact email@example.com if you have difficulties logging on to the Workspace site.