Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Teresa Ambrosius, ASB Secretariat
ASB Documents Open for Public Comment
The ASB encourages all interested parties to provide comments on documents in progress.
The public comment period has opened for:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 127, Standard for the Preservation and Examination of Charred Documents, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 12, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 128, Standard for the Preservation and Examination of Liquid Soaked Documents, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 12, 2021)
The following documents are also available for public comment:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 054, Standard for a Quality Control Program in Forensic Toxicology Laboratories, First Edition (Comment Deadline, June 14, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Best Practice Recommendation 060, Guidelines for Barrel and Overall Length Measurements of Firearms, First Edition (Comment Deadline, June 14, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 140, Standard for Training in Forensic Human Mitochondrial DNA Analysis, Interpretation, Comparison, Statistical Evaluation, and Reporting, First Edition (Comment Deadline, May 31, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 152, Standard for the Minimum Content Requirements of Forensic Toxicology Procedures, First Edition (Comment Deadline, July 5 2021)
- ASB Best Practice Recommendation 156, Guidelines for Specimen Collection and Preservation for Forensic Toxicology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, May 31, 2021)
- ASB Standard 157, Required Components for a Proficiency Testing Program in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, First Edition (Comment Deadline June 21, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 158, Standard for a Developing Standard Operating Procedures in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, First Edition (Comment Deadline, June 21, 2021)
*Please note that comments on a re-circulation will only be accepted on revised sections of a document, comments made to text not revised from the previous public comment period will not be accepted.
The documents, comment template, and additional information can be accessed through the Notification of Standard Development and Coordination portion of the ASB website.
To date, the ASB has published 46 Standards/Best Practice Recommendations (all approved as American National Standards by ANSI), and 3 Technical Reports. All ASB publications can be downloaded for free from the Published Documents portion of the ASB website.
Shop Amazon Smile to Support AAFS and ASB
You can now shop on behalf of the AAFS through Amazon Smile in effort to support your favorite non-profit! Read more about it and find our specific shopping link.
Contributions to the ASB
Your contribution will help ensure the ASB’s success in establishing standards and best practices for the forensic science community. Your contribution may be tax deductible as an ordinary and necessary business expense for federal income tax purposes. Make a donation.
ASB Updates From ANSI Standards Action
To view a summary of items of interest to ASB members in ANSI Standards Action, visit the ANSI Standards Action Weekly Report folder on the ASB Workspace page. Please contact email@example.com if you have difficulties logging on to the Workspace site.