Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Teresa Ambrosius, ASB Secretariat
Call for Members for the ASB Consensus Bodies
The ASB is currently accepting applications for the consensus bodies. Each CB consists of 7 to 25 members and creates and approves by consensus Forensic Standards, Best Practice Recommendations, Guidelines, and Technical Reports. The CBs also consider comments, views, and objections to ballots and resolve all comments received in connection with the development of documents. ASB CBs are open to all materially interested and affected individuals, companies, and organizations. Please complete the application by November 19, 2021.
ASB Documents Open for Public Comment
The ASB encourages all interested parties to provide comments on documents in progress.
The following documents are now open for public comment:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 153, Standard Practices for Proficiency Testing for Forensic Toxicology Laboratories and Breath Alcohol Programs, First Edition (Comment Deadline, December 20, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Best Practice Recommendation 156, Best Practices for Specimen Collection and Preservation for Forensic Toxicology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, December 20, 2021)
- ASB Standard 159, Standard for Scene Investigation, First Edition (Comment Deadline, December 20, 2021)
The following documents are also available for public comment:
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 098, Standard for Mass Spectral Analysis in Forensic Toxicology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, November 22, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Best Practice Recommendation 107, Best Practice Recommendation for Measuring Trigger Pull of a Firearm and Estimating Its Uncertainty, First Edition (Comment Deadline, November 29, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 113, Standard for Identification Criteria in Forensic Toxicology, First Edition (Comment Deadline, November 22, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 137, Standard for Examination and Documentation of Footwear and Tire Impression Evidence, First Edition (Comment Deadline, November 29, 2021)
- Recirculation* – ASB Standard 157, Required Components for a Proficiency Testing Program in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, First Edition (Comment Deadline, November 29, 2021)
- ASB Standard 169, Standard for Veterinary Forensic Live Animal Examination, First Edition (Comment Deadline, December 13, 2021)
- ASB Standard 170, Standard for Veterinary Forensic Postmortem Examination, First Edition (Comment Deadline, December 13, 2021)
*Please note that comments on a re-circulation will only be accepted on revised sections of a document, comments made to text not revised from the previous public comment period will not be accepted.
The documents, comment template, and additional information can be accessed through the Notification of Standard Development and Coordination portion of the ASB website.
To date, the ASB has published 63 Standards/Best Practice Recommendations (all approved as American National Standards by ANSI), and 4 Technical Reports. All ASB publications can be downloaded from the Published Documents portion of the ASB website.
Conduct an Educational & Scientific Webinar With AAFS
Presenting educational webinars is a valuable tool for offering engaging and valuable content on a specific topic.
Forensic science is an ever-changing and developing scientific field that requires rigorous efforts in continuing education. We offer all qualified individuals the opportunity to conduct an educational scientific webinar to the public that we create, host, and market. Visit the AAFS website to learn about the three different options for conducting your webinar.
Contributions to the ASB
Your contribution will help ensure the ASB’s success in establishing standards and best practices for the forensic science community. Your contribution may be tax deductible as an ordinary and necessary business expense for federal income tax purposes. Make a donation.
ASB Updates From ANSI Standards Action
To view a summary of items of interest to ASB members in ANSI Standards Action, visit the ANSI Standards Action Weekly Report folder on the ASB Workspace page. Please contact email@example.com if you have difficulties logging on to the Workspace site.