Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: AAFS Board of Directors and Staff
The AAFS Board of Directors and staff have been working diligently for months to ensure the 2021 Annual Scientific Meeting will be conducted. To date, we have confirmed a 100% virtual format, selected a virtual events platform provider (vFairs), confirmed pre-registration fees, and formatted a schedule that will maximize educational content while taking into consideration screen-time fatigue.
The educational portion of the meeting will be five days: February 15-19, 2021, U.S. Central Time zone. The format for most of the presentations will be pre-recorded with speaker text chat during the scheduled session. The Plenary Session, Keynote Session, and AAFS Annual Business Meeting will be live-recorded events. A short demo of the vFairs platform may be viewed HERE.
We are excited to announce the following information:
- Virtual Exhibit Hall (with booth personnel and text chat option) – Wednesday (Feb 17), Thursday (Feb 18), and Friday (Feb 19).
- Workshops (up to 24, four-hour workshops) – Monday (Feb 15) and Tuesday (Feb 16). Presenters interested in submitting a full-day workshop can submit a two-day proposal scheduling four hours each day.
- Keynote Session and Plenary Session – Wednesday (Feb 17).
- Scientific Sessions – Wednesday (Feb 17), Thursday (Feb 18), and Friday (Feb 19).
- Virtual Poster Hall (with the ability to text chat with presenters during specified times) – Wednesday (Feb 17), Thursday (Feb 18), and Friday (Feb 19).
- Interdisciplinary Symposium and a Standards Consortium Special Session – Tuesday (Feb 16).
- Case Break Sessions (up to five breakfast, luncheon, and evening session proposals will be adapted into one-hour Case Break Sessions).
- AAFS Annual Business Meeting – the agenda will be condensed significantly to shorten the length of this meeting. Most award acknowledgements will be moved to the section business meetings and/or deferred to the 2022 meeting in Seattle, WA.
- Section Business Meetings – to maximize time for educational content, these will be scheduled the week before the meeting. Specific details will be provided later.
- Registration Fees – 2021 Annual Scientific Meeting are as follows:
Member Registration $185.00
Nonmember Registration $280.00
Member Student Registration $ 75.00
Nonmember Student Registration $115.00
AAFS Retired Fellow $ – 0 –
The schedule and number of presentations will be determined by the number of abstracts submitted. In an effort to encourage submissions, we are announcing a FINAL extension of the abstract deadline to Thursday, October 8, 2020, 11:59 p.m. Click HERE to submit your abstract.
This is not the complete schedule and changes may occur as the Board finalizes the overall meeting structure. On-demand content will be available to registered attendees for three months. For specific questions, please email Sondra Doolittle at firstname.lastname@example.org.