Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Marcus Rogers, PhD, Section Chair
It is hard to believe that we are already a month past the 2016 Annual Scientific Meeting held in Las Vegas. For those of you who could not make the meeting, here are some highlights (for more details, please refer to the section minutes):
- We elected a new executive team for the section – Director Douglas Lacey, Chair Marcus Rogers, and Secretary Marla Carroll.
- The section’s membership grew to 122 active members, which includes 23 Fellows and 22 Members.
- There were a number of promotions and new members: three promotions to Fellow and six promotions to Member, plus nine Associate members, nine Trainee Affiliates, and five Student Affiliates were added.
- The following awards were presented (see photos below):
- Outstanding Research Award to Kathryn Seigfried-Spellar
- Outstanding Case Study Award to Joseph Levi White
- Carrie Morgan Whitcomb Outstanding Service Award to Zeno Geradts
The number of workshops we offered at the annual meeting increased from one last year to four this year. We need to continue to offer workshops as they generate revenue for the section and assist with increasing awareness of our section within the Academy.
The subcommittee chairs for this year are: Program Committee: Chair – Jeff Smith, Co-Chair – Mary Horvath; Planning Committee: Julie Ryan; Membership Committee: Rhesa Gilliland; Awards Committee: Josiah Dykstra; Ad Hoc-Vendor Relations: Marla Carroll. If you would like to assist with a committee, please contact the appropriate chair.
At the Academy’s Annual Business Meeting, Zeno Geradts was elected Treasurer for the Academy. Congratulations, Zeno!
The theme for next year is Our Future Reflects Our Past: The Evolution of Forensic Science. It is not too early to start thinking about your submissions for workshops, poster, and program presentations. The Academy’s deadline for submissions is August 1.
I hope to see everyone next year in New Orleans for the 2017 Annual Scientific Meeting.
DMS Award Pictures
DMS Outstanding Research Award: Rhesa Gilliland, Kathryn Seigfried-Spellar, Josiah Dykstra.
DMS Outstanding Case Study Award: Rhesa Gilliland, Joseph Levi White, Josiah Dykstra.