Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Sherri L. Kacinko, PhD, Toxicology Section Chair
The 2021 Annual Scientific Meeting is only two months away!
The end of the most unusual of years is upon us and the 2021 AAFS annual meeting is fast approaching! Here are some updates and reminders on what will be happening between now and the meeting.
- The first-ever AAFS virtual meeting will be held February 15-19, 2021, with the section business meeting being held the week before the meeting.
- Registration is now open – register before January 18 to take advantage of early-bird discounts.
- The Advance Program is now available!
- The Toxicology Section is excited to offer a jam-packed agenda:
- Friday February 12 – Section business meeting. Please note, attendance at section business meetings is now required for promotion to full Member and Fellow
- Monday February 15 – Workshop #4 The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Forensic Sciences With a Focus on Opioids and Emerging Drugs
- Tuesday February 16 – Workshop #11 A New Realm of Novel Psychoactive Substance (NPS) Opioids and NPS Benzodiazepines—Analytical and Interpretive Considerations
- Wednesday February 17 – AAFS Annual Business Meeting
- Thursday February 18 – Scientific Sessions, including:
- Drugs and Driving Special Session
- Drug Trends
- Toxicological Characterization
- Analytical Methods
- Friday February 19 – Scientific Sessions, including:
- Postmortem Toxicology
- 21st Annual Session on Postmortem Pediatric Toxicology
The Toxicology section is also very excited for this year’s annual lectureship in toxicology which will be held Thursday, February 18, featuring Johannes Ramaekers, PhD. Dr. Ramaekers will be educating the section with a presentation entitled, Drugs of Use or Abuse? Classifying Novel Psychoactive Substances and Psychedelics.
While we all would love to be gathering in Houston, TX, I have no doubt that the first (and hopefully last) AAFS virtual meeting will be a huge success!