Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Sabra R. Botch-Jones, MS, Section Chair
The 2022 American Academy of Forensic Sciences annual conference is less than two months away!
We are excited to return to a more “normal” meeting with the upcoming hybrid meeting, where we can interact with friends and colleagues, attend fantastic scientific sessions, and celebrate the 2022 section awardees. We are excited to announce that Alex Krotulski will receive the Irving Sunshine Award, Dani Mata will receive the Ray Abernethy Award, Jeri Ropero-Miller will receive the Rolla N. Harger Award, and the Alexander O. Gettler Award will be awarded to Karl Verebey.
Here are some updates and reminders on what will be happening between now and the conference.
- The first ever AAFS hybrid meeting will be held February 21-25, 2022, in Seattle, WA, or on a device of your choice!
- Registration is open and hotel information can be found on the AAFS meeting page.
- The preliminary program is now available online!
- The Toxicology Section is excited to offer a jam-packed agenda:
- Monday, February 21—Workshop #6: Impairment: A Look at Causes, Data, and Policies
- Tuesday, February 22—Workshop #16: The Neurobiology and Toxicology of Aggression
- Tuesday, February 22—Workshop #20: Novel Synthetic Opioids (NSO) in a Post-Fentanyl Analog Environment
- Wednesday, February 23—Toxicology Section Luncheon and Business Meeting. No virtual attendance option will be available. Separate registration fee applicable for luncheon.
- Wednesday, February 23—AAFS Annual Business Meeting. No virtual attendance option available. Please note, attendance at section business meetings is now required for promotion to full member and fellow.
- Wednesday, February 23—Toxicology Poster Session from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Thursday, February 24—Scientific Sessions, including:
- Annual Lectureship
- Drugs and Driving Special Session
- Novel Psychoactive Substances
- Alternative Matrices
- Thursday, February 24—Toxicology Open Forum 7:00p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 19—Scientific Sessions, including:
- Postmortem Toxicology
- General Forensic Toxicology
The Toxicology section is also very excited for this year’s annual lectureship in toxicology which will be held Thursday, February 24, featuring Daniele Piomelli, PhD, MD (hon). Dr. Piomelli will be educating the section with a presentation on cannabis.