Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the articles contained in the Academy News are those of the identified authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Academy.
Source: Kenneth S. Field, MBA
1954… The 1954 Annual Business Meeting turned into a rousing debate over the Bylaws that had been approved a the 1950 Organization Meeting. In particular, one sentence in the definition of a “Fellow” caused great concern: “Fellows shall be considered as certified experts in their respective fields.” That sentence was finally and forever removed from the Bylaws when one member opined that conferring the rank of Fellow on a member of a professional society was an organizational honor and nothing more.
1964… The Academy offices moved in the summer of 1964 to its third home since its origin on 1948. (Its first and second homes were on the campuses of Michigan State University and The University of Illinois Medical School – Chicago, respectively.) The new office was located in the Law-Medicine Center at Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH (now known as Case Western Reserve University). The move was necessitated by the unexpected death of the Academy’s long-time Secretary-Treasurer, Dr. W.J.R. Camp. Because Dr. Camp’s replacement, Claude Hazen, was also a Chicago resident, Herculean efforts were made to find a new, very, very low-cost office in the Chicago area – all to no avail. To assist Mr. Hazen in his long-distance management of AAFS affairs (Chicago – Cleveland), the Academy appointed Cleveland resident, Sam Gerber, as an Assistant Secretary-Treasurer and hired the Academy’s first part-time administrative assistant, Polly Cline.
1974… For the first time in the design of the Academy’s meeting badge, a vertical ribbon (overprinted with the word “Fellow”) was attached to appropriate badges. Its intended use was to readily identify those members (Fellows) who were qualified to attend, to speak at, and to vote on issues raised at the annual business meeting. As the years progressed, more ribbons were introduced – to the point where the elongated ribbons proved to be cumbersome and were replaced by today’s horizontal ribbons.